I have a strong passion for nature photography, especially wildlife. Many days are similar, but they are neve r the same. I get an added bonus when I encounter something out of the ordinary
The wildlife subjects range from butterflies to bears. I would like to get images of bigger subjects, but I have not been to Africa at this time. A majority of my wildlife images are of birds because they are present in all locations. Many are common, but I get the feel of accomplishment when I find a bird I do not see every day. My bird images have been taken from national parks to my back deck
Bald Eagle at Blackwater NWR
Fawn of Big Meadows
Great Egrets of Huntley Meadows Park
I live in the Washington metropolitan area, which is not popular for nature photographers. However, I find this location offers great opportunities for nature photography locations. The mountains are an hour west and the Eastern Shore is an hour east. My two favorite day trips are to Big Meadows, in Shenandoah National Park and Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge, Maryland.
There are many hot spots within the metropolitan area. Examples are Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens and Leesylvania State Park. My favorite location, however, is Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria, Virginia. My spark for nature photography started the first time I set foot on the park's quarter mile boardwalk over the wetlands. This area was filled with wildlife activity that I had never seen or knew it existed. The best way to explore these locations in a heavy populated area is starting early in the morning.
Hootie, the Barred Owl
- Presented my photography work on the Fairfax Station, “Photographers of Northern Virginia”
- Presented my photography work on the Arlington Channel, “Behind the Lens”:
Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBYzuZBgnD8
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkdhQ_u3M4
- Image selected in the North American Nature Photography Association “Expressions”, 2016
- Juried in the Nature Visions Photography Exposition, 2002 – 2018,
One photograph was selected in Nature Visions for the that was selected for the Nature Visions Travel Exposition .
- First place at the Huntley Meadows Photography Exhibit
- Second place for the "Wildlife" category at the Ward Museum of Art in Nature Photography Festival, 2014
- Honorable mention for the "Birds" category at the Ward Museum Art in Nature Photography Festival, 2014
- Published an image for the United States Environmental Protection Agency “Wildlife of Wetlands” calendar, 2004
- Album photographer for “The Mood”: https://www.reverbnation.com/moodrocks
- Presented two Photo Exhibits at Huntley Meadows Park, 2013 and 2015
- Volunteered at Huntley Meadows Park for 10 years