About the Photographer
Photography is half the fun when I observe and try to capture the moment in nature. I have many landscape images, but wildlife is my main focus.
The wildlife subjects range from insects to alligators. A majority of my images are of birds. They are present in all locations; from national parks to my back deck. Many are common, but it is a special day when I find a bird I do not see every day.
I live in the Washington metropolitan area, which is not popular for nature photography. However, I find this location offers great opportunities for nature photography locations. The mountains are two hours west and the Eastern Shore is two hours east. My two favorite day trips are to Big Meadows, in Shenandoah National Park and Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge, Maryland.
Bald Eagle, Blackwater NWF
White-tailed Fawn, Big Meadows
There are many hot spots within the metropolitan area. Examples are Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens and Leesylvania State Park. My favorite location is Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria, Virginia. My spark for nature photography started the first time I set foot on the park's quarter mile boardwalk over the wetlands. This area was filled with wildlife activity that I had never seen or knew existed.
Great Egrets, Huntley Meadows Park
I’ve had many slow days, such as visiting locations that have no activity. My patience has been tested on other days. Waiting over an hour for an eagle to take off from a branch comes to mind. I have also had many frustrating days, which would be missing the eagle as it took off. Another example is bad weather. In the end, I never feel like I wasted the day.
Armed at Conowingo Dam with my Nikon and Cannon
I have a special thanks to Dr. F. Eugene Hester, Retired Deputy Director for U.S. Fish and Wildlife. He introduced me to subjects I would have never seen, such as the Indigo Bunting and his personal friend, Hootie, a Barred Owl.
Hootie, the Barred Owl
- Presented my photography work on the Fairfax Station, “Photographers of Northern Virginia”
- Presented my photography work on the Arlington Channel, “Behind the Lens”:
Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBYzuZBgnD8
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkdhQ_u3M4
- Image selected in the North American Nature Photography Association “Expressions”, 2016
- Juried in the Nature Visions Photography Exposition, 2002 – 2018, which included a photograph that was selected for the 2016 Nature Visions Travel Exhibit
- Published image for the United States Environmental Protection Agency's “Wildlife of Wetlands” calendar
- First place at the Huntley Meadows Photography Exhibit
- Second place for the "Wildlife" category and honorable mention for the "Birds" category at the Ward Museum of Art in Nature Photography Festival
- Album photographer for an alternative band, “The Mood”:
- Presented two Photo Exhibits at Huntley Meadows Park
- 10 year volunteer at Huntley Meadows Park